The Shooting Party 1985


Aristocrats gather at the country estate of Sir Randolph Nettleby for leisure and shooting.

It stars James Mason in one of his last films. He's suppose to be famous. Don't know much about him. It also stars this women, Judi Bowker, who I remember from Clash of the Titans. I first remember watching the Titans in my 7th grade English class. Bowker is striking, especially in this film, but her soft-spoken voice, as well as her character, started to annoy me.

I liked it. Also, the story centering around the shooting parties is very Gosford Park. I read other facts and observation about this film, and it does have this sense of a kind of world dying out or soon to end, the end of the world, the calm before the storm. After watching this film, I thought about how it must have felt then, when everything seemed to have turned upside down. Within a few years, people one knew and cherished are dead and gone. The safety of civilization, can quickly be turned out.

The last scene when one of the beaters die, what was the significance of him praising the British Empire? Perhaps, part of the foreshadowing of its demise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...