Night of the Living Dead (1968)


The recent dead come alive after a space probe from Venus comes back to earth with mysterious radiation or other. The zombies start eating people. A group of people hole up in a house trying to fend off the zombies or find a way out.

I liked it. There's a black guy in a black and white movie playing on TMC so I had to watch it. Plus he was, Ben, the lead. The time period in which the film was made gave it more significant. There are obvious faults to the film, but even before reading up on it online, I got the sense it was a landmark.


Everything about the film, now that I think about it, screams the late volatile sixties. The middle-aged married dysfunctional couple representing the dysfunctional under the surface establishment, the young idealistic couple dying after trying to save the others, the crazy white woman - well I can't think what she represents. And as for the black guy - killing the black guy even though he wasn't a zombie is so American of them. An interesting point I read when I researched on this film later on, is that Ben's death has some resonance to slain black civil rights activists of that time.


I was digging Johnny's dark leather gloves by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...