The Rag Nymph (1997)


Millie's prostitute mother gets taken in by an evil pimp, resulting in mother committing suicide. She's left in the care of a woman who sells rags for a living named Aggie. Also living with Aggie is a teenage hunchback Ben. Even as a little girl, evil pimp can see potential in Millie, and so the ever lurking danger of getting kidnapped leads Aggie to sends her away to be educated. After her schooling, she has a stint being a governess. She gets invited to a servant's party, where she meets a young gentlemen, Bern, played by the man famous for playing Mr. Bingley.

I didn't like this. I cheated and watched the last four minutes or so and didn't like the ending, and decided not to watch the rest. Millie ends up with Ben, which is disgusting. They grew up together. They're practically like brothers and sisters. I found this even more disturbing than the kissing cousins of Mansfield Park, even though the cousins where blood-related. I was more repulsed about Ben's mullet in the second half of the story than the fact he was a hunchback.

I read more about the parts I no longer wanted to watch, and understood why Millie didn't end up with Mr. Bingley, but omfg it's Mr. Bingley. I blame the 1995 Pride & Prejudice  for ruining my cinematic enjoyment.  Considering the harsh gender inequality and general shithole existence of that time, I would have rather been a gentleman's mistress than be his wife. Dignity is overrated.

Favorite part is Aggie screaming after jealous Ben, "No amount of education will straighten that crooked back!" I like it, because that's something my mother would say ... with a straight face.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...